About Me

My Photo
I am a politically-progressive, ethically-herbivorous anthropoid pursuing a paleontology education in the Los Angeles Basin. I am largely nocturnal, have rarely been photographed, and cannot thrive in captivity.

01 August 2010

Myths About The Vegetarian Myth

There's a new blog on the block, dedicated to debunking Lierre Kieth. It's worth watching.

Dimetrodon, whose name means "two-measured teeth."
In other news, I am hard at work on my next post in the History of Your Teeth series. Here's a nice image of someone you're going to meet then. She's relatively famous, and often mistaken in pop culture for a dinosaur; however, like your cousin A. Florensis, she was not a reptile, and pre-dated the dinosaurs by about 100 million years.

She was also, quite likely, your direct ancestor. If you're the praying or meditating type, honor her in your next quiet-time.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! It's a really great blog, and I'm so impressed with what they (and you!) are posting. Keep up the good work...

    By the way, today I was streaming NPR and they have a pretty anti-veg science feature up right now. I have no doubt that coming to a higher protein/ cooked foods diet played a role in evolution, but it seems like they're making a backhanded case against contemporary veganism, particularly raw diets. What are your thoughts?

    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128849908

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this link, ariel! And thanks for the praise about my blog! :)

    I may devote a separate post to this, but my initial thoughts are: trust journalists to always look for the controversial angle. Antagonizing vegans -- even backhandedly -- makes for good copy, but it doesn't always convey accuracy.

    I posted about Wrangham's book very early in this blog's history, and I still love it. The journalist here likes to focus on meat -- which there is no doubt early hominids ate -- but elides the real crux of Wrangham's hypothesis: that it was primarily the fallback foods of cooked tubers and other plant USOs that likely supplied early man's calories. Sure, they ate meat when they could get it, but that was probably rare, especially at the australopith-homo transition.

    Most species adapt to their fallback food strategies, not their preferred food ones. I'm dubious that there truly is any such thing as the perfect human diet, but IMO a plant-based diet of whole, unprocessed foods with generous amounts of cooked roots and tubers is the closest thing there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...honor her in your next quiet time." Ha! You are too much Robert. I'm thoroughly enjoying these posts and I am learning so much. As always, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete